Stylist's Beauty Director Joanna McGarry tests out the glittery eye beauty trend, as seen at Dsquared2 a/w 2011.
Festive cheer comes in many guises. You can deck the halls, cosy up with a mulled wine and quietly hum White Christmas in the comfort of your own home. But, if you are going out, it’s statement time. This means taking your usual evening make-up and adding an element which, at any other time of the year, would feel like the attention-seeking action of a 16 year old. Last Christmas, it was opulent, feathery lashes. This year, it’s a sprinkling of glitter. When done well, glitter looks astoundingly cool, but there are booby traps everywhere, so let me give you the rules:
1. Overkill is the death of the glittered eye, so focus on one specific area, such as the inner or outer corner.
2. Avoid a multicoloured smattering. It can make you look like you’ve had a fight with Tinkerbell and lost. Instead, commit to one or two complementary shades – mid-blue and silver combine brilliantly as do black and gold.
3. Use a sealing gel (Illamasqua, £10.50) to prep skin then stipple glitter on with a stubby brush, adding more density in the centre, fading outwards. Don’t fret if some specks fall off – you are spreading festive cheer after all.
4. Err on the cautious side with the rest of your make-up: smoulder it up by adding a sliver of kohl to the lower lash line and keep lips nude.
5. Dress accordingly. Beautiful vintage maxis work perfectly, otherwise keep it chic with black separates. Now, all you need are some Christmas lights to glisten under.