In Stylist’s most exciting competition yet, we team up with powerhouse publishers Faber and Faber to find, and publish, a debut crime writer.
Picture credit: Getty Images
Faber and Faber is the company behind the careers of authors including PD James and Kazuo Ishiguro, and has published an impressive 12 Nobel Laureates and six Booker prize-winners which is why we've joined forces with them to find a writer who we believe is going to be the next big thing in crime fiction. The plotline could be anything, from grizzly serial killer to eerie suburban murder. The only requirements are that it must fall within the crime/thriller genre and that it has to feature a female protagonist (it isn’t just men who can solve crime, after all).
So whether you’ve been itching to write a book for years and just need that final push, are a huge fan of thrillers and think you could write one too, or just fancy the ultimate challenge for 2012, read on to find out how you could be in with a chance of winning (and becoming the next Jessica Fletcher...)
To enter Stylist’s Crime Fiction Competition you will need to complete the first 6,000 words of your original crime or thriller novel. The novel must feature a female protagonist. Alongside this you will need to submit an outline, no longer than 300 words, to show how the story will develop but which doesn’t reveal the ending, plus a 250-word biography of the central character.
The entries will be judged by an expert panel who will be looking for a story which excites, intrigues and surprises them. The panel includes:
- Ruth Rendell, award-winning author of over 60 crime fiction novels with book sales in excess of 20 million.
- Lisa Smosarski, Stylist’s editor
- Hannah Griffiths, publishing director, and Angus Cargill, senior editor, at Faber and Faber
- Sue Swift, head of literary acquisitions at Kudos Television and Shine Pictures – a company responsible for adapting crime novels for TV and makers of Spooks
All entries must be posted (no email entries will be accepted) to Stylist Magazine Crime Fiction Competition, Shortlist Media, 26-34 Emerald Street, London, WC1N 3QA by 12 July 2012. The deadline will not be extended under any circumstances.
The winning author of our fiction competition will have their debut novel published by Faber and Faber publishing house and will receive a book advance of £5,000. The runner-up will receive a place on a three-month writing course of their choice – worth up to £1,750 – at Faber Academy, Faber and Faber’s esteemed creative writing programme. Upcoming courses include a three-month ‘Writing Crime’ course, led by author Dreda Say Mitchell. Visit faberacademy.co.uk for more details on courses, or follow Faber Academy on Twitter @faberacademy.
WHAT YOU NEED TO ENTER
- The first 6,000 words of your original crime thriller or novel which MUST feature a female protagonist
- An outline, no longer than 300 words, to show how the story will develop but that doesn't reveal the ending
- A 250-word biography of the central character
- A signed copy of the entry form
Download the entry form and the Terms & Conditions and once you have completed your submission, post it to Stylist Magazine Crime Fiction Competition, Shortlist Media, 26-34 Emerald Street, London, WC1N 3QA by 12 July 2012.
Any questions? Email [email protected]