Emojis have revolutionised the way we communicate. Not only is emoji the fastest growing language in the nation, the little critters have allowed us to interact in new and unforeseen ways.
Of course, if emojis have changed the way we speak to our friends, it’s inevitable that they would change the way we flirt (they've already proved that vegetables can also double-up as parts of the human anatomy- who ever thought an aubergine was phallic, before now?)
But how much do we actually use the aubergine, the peach and the cherries when we are e-chatting with the object of our affections?
Not that much, it seems. Because Tinder has announced the top 10 most-used emoji on their app.
The list has given us new faith in the previously dismissed ‘hook-up app’. Although we’ve been told that most people on Tinder are seeking love not lust, we didn’t quite believe it until this emoji-nouncement.
Because the list of top 10 Tinder emojis is rather PG – not the X-rated images we’d imagined.
Coming in at number one was the rather sweet blushing smiley face (lots of compliments, we can only assume). And the other most-popular images ranged from several foodie-themed pics, to the salsa dancing woman and musical notes.
Below we have listed the top 10 Tinder emojis and analysed their official (unofficial) meanings.
1. In at the top – as mentioned – is the blushing smiley face. Our sources (Tinder-using colleagues) tell us that this is probably the most popular because people are still a little coy at the beginning stages of Tinder use, and feel a little uncomfortable by profile picture flattery.
2. The second most popular Tinder emoji is somewhat harder to decipher: it's the celebration hands. Perhaps people are just super excited that someone e-fancies them. Unconfirmed.
3. Of course it’s only natural that a little tipple comes into the flirty equation. And it stars with the double-parked lagers – where all love stories begin.
4. And what comes after a booze-up? Next day hungover pizza, of course. Our sources tell us that this emoji is how people initiate the morning after chat. The pizza slice says ‘"I’m not too keen, I’m eating a Dominos and I don’t care if you text me back or not. But also I like you."
5. Number five is a tricky one. We can only assume Tinder users are keen travellers. From desperately scouring the app (what, us?) we’ve noticed the abundance of gap yah profile pics, and we believe it is the users posing with doped-up Tigers that are responsible for this one.
6. In at number six is the heart-eyed smiley. Things are clearly hotting up at this this stage. It’s not love, but it does say: "I’d love to see you naked."
7. Unexpectedly, the seventh most popular Tinder emoji is the musical notes. No, we’re not sure, either. But perhaps the discussion has moved on to dissecting one another’s Spotify playlists.
8. Coffee made it into the running. This one says: "Its Monday and the coffee is needed because you stayed up all last night messaging each other." Says it all.
9. By emoji number nine, people are ready for a dinner date. Forget the pints of lager, this emoji says "I want to sit across you at a table for long enough to finish a bottle of wine."
10. In at number 10 is the salsa dancer. Clearly not as popular as the others because she comes in after the third date, when people start to move off the app and swap numbers. The dancing lady is most often used when couples are excited to see one another – and no longer trying to play it cool.