Jump to Main ContentJump to Primary Navigation
Top

Young women in India are writing beautiful period-inspired poetry

period-poetry-indian-girls.jpg

In the UK, periods still carry a certain stigma. But the taboo is vastly magnified in India, where it’s estimated that only 12% of the country’s menstruating women are able to afford sanitary pads (the other 88% are often forced to use alternatives such as unsanitised cloth, ashes and sand). The practice of banishing rural women and girls to huts outside their villages during their periods is prevalent in parts of central India, and over 30% of girls in northern India say that they dropped out of school after starting menstruating.

The United Nations says that stigma around menstruation is a human rights issue, and over the last few years there have been several campaigns designed to dispel myths surrounding periods in the country. Breaking the Silence, an education initiative launched by journalist and campaigner Urmila Chanam, has reached women and girls all over the country, while the hashtag #HappyToBleed went viral back in late 2015.

Now one group of medical school students in southern India have picked up the baton – by picking up their pens.

periods

The students, who attend Calicut Medical College in Kerala, have written a series of moving poems about the experiences and attitudes surrounding periods in India for a campaign called The Red Cycle.


Read more: The 40 fearless feminists who rallied against bigotry in 2016


“Silence is the first lesson a girl in India learns once she steps into ‘womanhood’,” say the team behind The Red Cycle on the campaign’s Facebook page. “From sanitary napkins meticulously covered and kept away from public sight to an endless list of menstrual myths, society considers menstruation a dirty subject rather than a normal physiological process vital in sustaining life.”

periods

The students add that they hope their poems will help shatter some of the stigma surrounding menstruation in their home country.


Read more: “I got that flow”: feminist trio’s rap about periods goes viral


“The fact that most of the entries were made by college students and there was large male participation shows that hopes are high on the horizon,” they say. “A time when a woman who bleeds will not be looked upon with hatred and fear is definitely not far away.”

Read on for more of our favourite poems from The Red Cycle campaign, and click here to see every poem in the series.

periods
periods
periods

Main image: iStock

Related

iStock-505468024.jpg

Lucy Mangan guides us into the New Year

iStock-516136270.jpg

Scientists confirm PMT could be a genetic condition

Pharmacy.jpg

Over-charged and humiliated: the ordeal of the morning-after pill

Comments

More

Sunshine could help ease chronic period pain, suggests study

A link has been found between vitamin D, aka the 'sunshine vitamin', and reduced cramps

by Moya Crockett
24 May 2017

Piers Morgan’s ‘hate-mongering’ is expertly shut down on live TV

When Morgan began airing his views about the Manchester attack, Sally Dynevor made it her mission to shut him down

by Kayleigh Dray
24 May 2017

Sara Rowbotham finally makes her voice heard on First Dates

The Rochdale sexual health worker broke down on the Channel 4 dating show

by Kayleigh Dray
24 May 2017

“A teenage girl's first concert should be a rite of passage”

“And, last night it was snatched from their innocent hands”

by Lucy Foster
23 May 2017

Manchester attack: how you can help

The ways you can support the victims, survivors and investigation

by Amy Swales
23 May 2017

The entertainment world reacts to the Manchester terror attack

Tributes have poured in from stars across the globe following the tragedy

by Joe Ellison
23 May 2017

Manchester attack: the woman who heroically protected over 50 children

Paula Robinson has been praised for her heroism on social media

by Kayleigh Dray
23 May 2017

Manchester Arena blast: at least 22 dead and more than 50 injured

Home Secretary Amber Rudd has called it a “barbaric attack, deliberately targeting some of the most vulnerable in our society”

by Kayleigh Dray
23 May 2017

Everything you need to know about alkaline hydrolysis

It's an eco-friendly alternative to burials

by Sarah Biddlecombe
22 May 2017

How to chill a bottle of white wine in less than 3 minutes

Because who has time to wait for wine?

by Kayleigh Dray
22 May 2017