The M&S bakery in charge of making hot cross buns has already gone into 24-hour production. Why? Because Marks & Spencer is going to sell nine million of the baked favourites during Easter week alone. That’s a lot of buns. In fact, it’s so many, that if you laid them all end-to-end they would measure the length of the flight path from London to Malaga.
This shouldn’t be surprising though, for is there anything more mouth-watering than the anticipation of your first bite of a carefully toasted buttery hot cross bun? Yes, there is: the anticipation of your first Hot Cross Bun Eggy Bread and Ice Cream Sandwich. M&S partnered up with Dan Doherty, chef director at Duck & Waffle, to create three one-off hot cross bun recipes that will completely change how you gorge on this once-a-year favourite.
Hot cross bun Welsh rarebit
Welsh rarebit ingredients
- 625g Cornish Cruncher (cheddar) cheese, grated
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp hot English mustard
- 2 tbs double cream
- Tobasco sauce – to taste
- 4 M&S Cheese & Onion Hot Cross Buns
- Step 1: Preheat oven on grill setting.
- Step 2: Mix together all of the Welsh rarebit ingredients. Set aside
- Step 3: Slice the hot cross buns in half and the cut the halves diagonally to make triangles. Lightly toast
- Step4: Generously spread the rarebit mix onto the buns. Transfer to a baking tray
- Step 5: Toast under a hot grill, until beautifully golden and gratinated. Remove from the oven and enjoy whilst hot.
Hot cross bun crusted lamb rack
Lamb crust ingredients
2 lamb racks
1 tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper
2 M&S Luxury Hot Cross Buns,
blended into rough crumbs
40g unsalted butter, softened
30g parmesan, finely grated
½ pack parsley, finely chopped
1 lemon, zest only
1 egg yolk
Salsa verde ingredients
2 banana shallots finely chopped
3 tbsps olive oil
½ tin anchovies
2 tbsps capers
1 lemon, juice only
10 mint leaves, finely chopped
½ pack parsley, finely chopped
200g purple sprouting broccoli
- Step 1: Lightly oil and season the lamb racks
- Step 2: Pan fry the lamb
- Step 3: Mix the bun crust ingredients and press onto racks
- Step 4: Roast the lamb at 200°c for 10 minutes then allow to rest for 10-15 mins
- Step 1: Place the chopped shallots and olive oil into a small saucepan and cook gently until the shallots are soft and sweet.
- Step 2: Add the anchovies, capers, parsley, mint leaves and lemon juice and continue to cook for 2 minutes. The anchovies should melt into the dressing, seasoning and adding a rich umami flavour.
While the lamb rests, cook some purple sprouting broccoli, drain and dress with the salsa verde. Carve the lamb and serve with a pile of the dressed broccoli.
Hot cross bun eggy bread & ice cream sandwich
Ice cream ingredients
1 cinnamon stick
2 whole allspice seeds
6 egg yolks
2 M&S Luxury Hot Cross Buns, chopped into little chunks and toasted very well
Eggy bread ingredients
80ml double cream
3 large eggs
2 tbsps sugar
100ml whole milk
4 M&S Kentish Bramley Apple Hot Cross Buns
Butter for frying
Ice cream method
- Step 1: Bring the milk and cream to the boil with the cinnamon and allspice and infuse for 10 minutes.
- Step 2: Beat the eggs and sugar in a medium-sized bowl and, using a fine sieve, pour the milk and cream infused liquid over the egg and sugar mix, whisking gently.
- Step 3: Transfer back to the pan and cook very gently, stirring frequently so the mix thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Step 4: Strain the ice cream base, chill it and then pour into an ice cream machine, adding the toasted hot cross bun pieces. Churn to a soft drop consistency and place in the freezer until ready to serve (if you don’t have an ice cream machine, place the ice cream base into a plastic tray to freeze, beating the mixtur every ½ hour to prevent ice crystals forming).
Eggy bread method
- Step 1: Halve the hot cross buns and whisk cream, eggs, sugar and milk in a bowl.
- Step 2: Melt a knob of butter in a large frying pan until it starts to sizzle.
- Step 3: Soak the buns in the egg mix and then fry in the pan until crispy and golden (be careful the pan isn’t too hot as the sugars and raisins in the buns may burn).
Sandwich a large scoop of the ice cream between the warm crisped buns and enjoy! To save time the buns can be prepared ahead of time and warmed through in a
M&S hot cross buns, including its best-selling Luxury Hot Cross Buns, have been created in the same bakery for over 30 years. This Easter also sees the introduction of Carrot Cake Hot Cross Buns, which are filled with a cream cheese frosting, and the first savoury variety from M&S, Cheese & Onion Hot Cross Buns. Spring into the kitchen this Easter with more recipes and inspiration from M&S here