Inspired by the famous grilled vegetable salad at the Ivy restaurant in Los Angeles, this is one of Gwyneth's standbys for a quick and easy dinner or a lunch party dish. Taken from Notes from my Kitchen Table, this recipe was tried and tested by the Stylist team. Our verdict? Fast and easy to cook, the chargrilled salmon complements the vegetables perfectly.
Ingredients (serves 8)
- 2 large beetroots
- 3 courgettes, sliced lengthways into 8mm slices
- 2 fresh corn cobs, husks removed
- 1 bunch spring onions, dark green ends discarded
- 2 x 175g wild salmon fillets
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt
- 2 heads round lettuce, leaves separated, washed and dried and cut into thick strips
- 4 tbsp fresh basil leaves, roughly torn
- 225g cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 15g coriander leaves, chopped
- 125ml Balsamic and Lime Vinaigrette [find Gwyneth’s recipe in Notes From My Kitchen Table]
- 1 lime, quartered for serving
Active preparation time: 15 minutes
Total preparation time: 45 minutes
1) Steam or boil the beetroots until cooked through (about 30 mins). Let them cool then peel them and cut into medium dice. Reserve.
2) Preheat the barbecue or grill to medium-low heat. Rub the courgettes, corn, spring onions and salmon with enough olive oil to coat and sprinkle with salt. Grill the veg and fish until everything is nicely browned and cooked through, about 20 mins. Cut the courgettes and spring onions into medium dice and reserve. Cut the corn off the cob and reserve. Break the salmon into large pieces and reserve.
3) Get a big dish and lay the lettuce down. Evenly and artfully scatter the basil, tomatoes, beetroots, corn, courgettes, spring onions, and coriander over the lettuce. Arrange the salmon along the edge of the dish. Drizzle the vinaigrette and serve the lime wedges alongside, encouraging your guests to use them.