This delicious starter is taken from Food of the Grand Trunk Road, a book written by head chef at Moti Mahal, Anirudh Arora and Hardeep Singh Kohli, which features recipes picked up whilst travelling along one of the oldest and longest roads in South East Asia.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 200 g/7 oz prawns, peeled and deveined
- 200 g/7 oz white crabmeat
- 1 medium potato, peeled, cooked and grated
- few curry leaves, chopped
- few sprigs fresh coriander, chopped
- 3 tablespoons mustard oil
- 30 g/11/4 oz grated Cheddar cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- salt, to taste
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 banana leaves
- Mint and coriander chutney (see page 133), to serve
Step 1: Wash the prawns, drain in a colander and roughly chop.
Step 2: Mix together the chopped prawns, crabmeat, potato, curry leaves, fresh coriander, mustard oil, cheese, ground turmeric, chilli powder, garam masala, dried chilli flakes and salt and mix well. Pour over the lemon juice.
Step 3: Wipe each banana leaf with a damp cloth and then trim and cut each one into six pieces.
Step 4: Divide the mixture into 12 and shape into patties. Wrap each one in a piece of banana leaf, making sure that the filling does not come out.
Step 5: Heat a non-stick pan, sear the wrapped leaves then cook for 4–5 minutes on each side. Serve with Mint and coriander chutney.
Recipe taken from Food of the Grand Trunk Road.