Pumpkin and squash are tasty, filling options to fill yourself up without resorting to the usual carbohydrate staples and this warm summer salad is the perfect choice to spruce up your midweek menu.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1kg pumpkin or squash (800g prepared weight), peeled, de-seeded and cut into 3cm cubes
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 400g can cooked chickpeas, drained
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp roughly chopped fresh coriander
- 1 garlic clove, crushed to a paste with a pinch of salt
- 3 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp tahini paste
- 2 tbsp water, to taste
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 220°C/425 F/Gas 7.
Step 2: Toss the pumpkin with the garlic, allspice, olive oil and some salt and pepper.
Step 3: Place on a tray in the oven for about 15-25 minutes or until soft. Remove and allow to cool.
Step 4: While the pumpkin is cooking, make the tahini sauce. Mix the crushed garlic with lemon juice and add the tahini. Now thin with the water and olive oil, and check for seasoning. You should taste a balance between the nutty tahini and lemon.
Step 5: To assemble the salad, place the pumpkin, chickpeas, red onion and coriander in a mixing bowl. Pour on the tahini sauce and remaining oil and toss carefully. Season with salt and pepper.
From Casa Moro by Sam and Sam Clark (£17.50, Ebury Press)