There’s nothing more fun than a boozy night out. But, whether you prefer gin, wine, Prosecco, or a boozy hot chocolate, they all have one thing in common; the terrible hangover they hit you with the morning after.
We’ll level with you; we’ve spent a lot of our lives googling the phrases ‘best hangover food’, ‘how do I cure my hangover?’, and ‘can hangovers kill you?’ And, unable to find a solution, we’ve been busy shovelling bacon butties and water into our faces whenever one hits, desperately hoping that it’ll do the trick.
Now, finally, scientists have the answer – and it comes in the form of a handy formulaic equation, too.
Working closely with the takeaway giants that are Deliveroo, nutritionist Amanda Hamilton has determined everything your body needs to stop that hangover in its tracks, get your body out of the ‘walking dead’ phase, and have you at your freshest-faced and bushiest-tailed in no time flat.
So… what is the formula for the perfect hangover cure?
X (C2H5OH ++) = Y (B x 2 + 20gP) + (+ AV + rk2 + SPF x 10)
Maths was never our strong point at school, so this filled complex-looking string of numbers, letters, and mathematical symbols filled our hearts with dread. “We’ll take the hangover,” we said, “so long as we don’t have to sit here and work this out!”
Thankfully, we don’t have to do anything ourselves; Hamilton has broken it down into easy chunks of information.
- X = All the alcoholic units you consumed the night before
- Y = The perfect hangover cure
We’ll skip out the (C2H5OH ++) bit; just trust us when we say it’s all the drinks you consumed.
The rest of the equation, however, correlates to the most delicious sounding morning-after breakfast we’ve ever dreamed of.
- B x 2 = Two slices of bread (it’s high in carbohydrates, so it’ll boost your blood sugars, speed up your metabolism, and get rid of that alcohol quickly)
- 20pP = 20 grams of lean protein, such as eggs, turkey, quinoa, low-fat dairy, or salmon (the amino acids will help to detoxify your liver)
- + AV = Avocado (because it wouldn’t be breakfast without this delicious source of potassium)
- + rk2 = A few handfuls of spicy rocket leaves (the Vitamin B will help improve the function of your liver)
- + SPF x 10 = Sweet potato fries (all that potassium, fibre, beta-carotene and vitamin B will do wonders for your poor hungover body)
We can definitely get on board with this – although we’ll definitely have to plan our breakfast ahead of time. We doubt we’ll be willing to drag ourselves off to the shops when we’re nursing the ultimate hangover from hell.
Then again, we guess we could always scour Deliveroo for a takeaway brunch joint that’ll whip us up a salmon and avo bagel (with sweet potato fires and rocket on the side, of course)…
Just remember that no hangover cure is a miracle worker – and scoffing this equation’s creation isn’t an excuse to drink more alcohol than you normally would on a night out. Know your limits, be responsible, and have fun!