Jump to Main ContentJump to Primary Navigation
Top

The unexpected way stress can help your social life

andrei-coman.jpg

Everybody wants to make a good first impression, don’t they?

Whether we’re meeting our partner’s parents for the first time, starting a new job, or heading into that all-important interview, we tend to turn on the charm in a bid to project the best version of our selves possible – and god forbid anyone guess that we’re not quite as confident as we’re trying to appear.

But, while we’ve always been told this is a surefire way to make friends, new research has revealed that may not actually be the case.

In fact, your flaws actually can have a far more positive effect on those around you.


Read more: 23 ways to avoid stress


The study, conducted by Jamie Whitehouse from the University of Portsmouth, looks at how primates react to each other in social situations when one openly exhibits signs of stress.

Monkeys

Monkeys get nervous when making new pals too you know

With a focus on scratching, researchers watched how primates treated a member of the group when they demonstrated this scientifically-proven symptom of stress.

Instead of shunning their anxious acquaintance, the primates showed behaviour that improved the cohesion of the group and reduced the probability of conflict. And Whitehouse has surmised that showing signs of vulnerability – in this case exhibiting anxious body language – benefits both the one that is stressed and those observing them.

Speaking about his findings, he says: “Observable stress behaviours could have evolved as a way of reducing aggression in socially complex species of primates.

“Showing others you are stressed could benefit both the scratcher and those watching, because both parties can then avoid conflict.”


Read more: Networking without awkwardness: expert tips on how to make meaningful connections


And it seems that monkeys have the same social anxieties as us, as most of their scratching was done when put in a situation with an unfamiliar primate – which we guess is the monkey equivalent of the first day at a new job.

When finding themselves in this type of situation, those that showed transparency lowered the rate of aggression in the group by 25%. Scientists observed that when a higher-ranking primate approached a group and no one scratched, the probability of confrontation was 75%. However, this dropped to 50% when someone scratched.

Which means that, when the monkeys noticed another member of the group was stressed that, it discouraged them from attacking. 

Whitehouse continues: “As scratching can be a sign of social stress, potential attackers might be avoiding attacking obviously stressed individuals because such individuals could behave unpredictably or be weakened by their stress, meaning an attack could be either risky or unnecessary.”


Watch: What not to say to an anxiety sufferer


According to Whitehouse, these social cues actually translate very easily to the way humans behave, too. He surmises that transparency in our actions is beneficial to our social situations, and imagines that with everyone in the group on the same page, the need for conflict becomes less.

Explaining his theory, he says: “By revealing stress to others, we are helping them predict what we might do, so the situation becomes more transparent. Transparency ultimately reduces the need for conflict, which benefits everyone and promotes a more socially cohesive group.”


Read more: What is high-functioning anxiety – and are you suffering from it?


We have to admit, it feels a bit of a leap to base our social skills on a bunch of scratching primates, but Whitehouse certainly has a point when it comes to being more honest about our feelings and showing a greater level of transparency in our lives.

With particular thanks to the rise of social media, we could be accused of feeling the pressure to live our best lives at all times – and making sure people know about it. There are countless studies to back up the negative feelings that we feel when projecting a fake fabulously flawless pretence, be it envy at others’ seemingly perfect lives or anxiety brought on by the fear of not having it all.

Time to make like these monkeys and get honest with those around us, we reckon.

Images: Andrei Coman / iStock

Related

swedish cabin 72 hour experiment wellbeing nature ben fogle 1 jj.jpg

Sweden is offering stressed people beautiful cabins in the wilderness

negative emotions key to happiness.jpg

The unexpected way experiencing anger could affect your happiness

Facebook self esteem.jpg

The surprising side-effect of spending just 5 minutes on Facebook

More

The best possible gifts for when flowers aren’t going to cut it

17 unusual and thoughtful gifts for when the s**t hits the fan

by Amy Swales
22 Sep 2017

This Battle of the Sexes legend wants you to STOP asking about McEnroe

“I would like to see John McEnroe win a Grand Slam tournament while pregnant”

by Susan Devaney
22 Sep 2017

“The real reason we should all be upset about Uber”

Grow up: your bank balance really isn’t what’s at stake here

by Kayleigh Dray
22 Sep 2017

There's a huge sherbet fountain coming to London - and it's free

Bompas & Parr are planning a weird, wonderful and nostalgia-filled event

by Helen Brown
22 Sep 2017

Rick and Morty creator responds to sexist trolling of female writers

The show hired four women. Cue cries of “Worst. Episodes. Evah.”

by Amy Swales
22 Sep 2017

Everything you need to know about Uber being banned in London

The taxi firm has had its license revoked by TfL

by Moya Crockett
22 Sep 2017

The new Baileys flavour you’ll want to drink well beyond Halloween

Perfect autumn cocktails ahead

by Amy Swales
22 Sep 2017

This unexpected town has been voted the best place to work in the UK

We didn’t see this one coming

by Moya Crockett
22 Sep 2017

Harry Potter fans, this epic Hogwarts goblet is actually magical

It's perfect for Butterbeer (or prosecco)

by Megan Murray
22 Sep 2017

The hidden meanings behind the nation’s most popular baby names

Prepare for lots of girls’ names ending in ‘a’

by Moya Crockett
22 Sep 2017