We consider ourselves Friends aficionados. Basically, we think we know pretty much everything about the show which graced our TV screens for 10 years.
For example, we know, without hesitation, that Chandler's TV guide is addressed to a Miss Chanandler Bong, Monica's nickname on her school hockey team was Big Fat Goalie and Rachel's middle name is Karen.
However, even we managed to unearth a few interesting facts about the cast of Friends that we didn't know before.
Do you know any others? Tell us in the comments below.
1. Monica and Joey were intended to be the original couple on the show
While we were given an insight into how this could have played out in one of the Friends flashback episodes (spoiler: Joey gets really fat), can you imagine Monica with anyone else other than Chandler? No, we didn't think so.
2. Season 2 is the only one without a Thanksgiving episode
This makes us sad, as everyone knows the Thanksgiving episodes were always a highlight of the season, especially the one with Brad Pitt.
3. The character of Ursula Buffay was already a sitcom star
Yes, you read that correctly. Phoebe's twin sister, Ursula Buffay was already a character in Mad About You (that one with Helen Hunt in). According to Lisa Kudrow, she was already playing Ursula when she got the role of Phoebe and as Friends took the Mad About You slot, the writers added a storyline about Phoebe being a twin so as not to confuse NBC's viewers.
4. Gunther was never intended to have a speaking part
We couldn't imagine Central Perk without Gunther's sarcastic comments.
5. Bruce Willis starred on the show for free
As a result of a bet lost on the set of The Whole Nine Yards, which also stars Matthew Perry, Bruce Willis agreed to do a guest appearance on Friends for free. Apparently, hewas already planning on the guest spot but the terms of the bet led to him giving his pay for the episode to charity. Could he be any more generous?
6. Monica's apartment changed numbers
The eagle-eyed among you may know that Monica and Rachel's apartment was number 19, and Chandler and Joey's was 20. But in the first couple of episodes Monica's was actually number 5.
7. The scene with Billy Crystal and Robin Williams wasn't in the original script
This scene in which Williams discovers his wife is having an affair with Crystal, from The One With The Ultimate Fighting Champion, wasn’t meant to happen. The well-known actors were in the same area where Friends was being shot, so they were asked to make a surprise guest appearance.
8. Courtney Cox was the first actress ever to say the word "period" on national TV
Not in Friends, but in a Tampax add. Still though, kudos.
9. David Schwimmer turned down Will Smith's part in Men In Black
Seriously. Imdb even says so.
10. Joey's agent plays a nurse when Carol gives birth
That's right, the chain-smoking croaky-voiced agent, Estelle played a nurse when Carol is giving birth to Ben. She (hopefully) wasn't smoking a cigarette at the time.