Jump to Main ContentJump to Primary Navigation
Top

Mary Beard: "I dread any idea of a fixed quota of women on TV"

rexfeatures-1468230d.jpg
rexfeatures-3565171c.jpg

TV professor Mary Beard has hit out at the idea of a fixed quota of women on TV panels, saying she dreads the idea of producers frantically phoning around trying to find someone to fill "the woman's slot."

Her comments came as BBC director of television Danny Cohen banned all-male panel shows as "unacceptable" last month.

"It's easy enough to agree with Cohen's instincts, but it's less easy to see what practical steps the BBC [or any media company] should take," Beard told the Radio Times.

"I dread any idea of a fixed quota of women per programme. It's likely to leave desperate producers ringing round all the women they can possibly think of to fill 'the woman's slot'. I don't think it would be much fun being the woman vilified in all the reviews as the one taking the quota place."

Mary Beard with her OBE medal in June 2013

The 59-year-old Cambridge academic added that quotas "do not get to the root of the problem".

"The fact is that even now authority still seems to reside with the men in suits, and their deep voices; and those are the types we still assume we'll see when we're looking for words of wisdom on TV," she said.

"If viewers want to change this, the power lies partly in their hands. We all need to think a bit harder about our assumptions about whose face fits the TV screen."

Beard, who was awarded an OBE in 2013 for services to classical scholarship, also commented on the way that older women on-screen were singled out for their "glaring eccentricity and deficient grooming".

The classicist was caught up in a storm of protest last year after Sunday Times journalist AA Gill declared her too unattractive for TV when reviewing Meet The Romans, the BBC Two programme she wrote and presented.

Newsnight presenter Jeremy Paxman described panel shows as "bear-pits disguised as studios... in which male comics set out to see who can pee higher up the wall"

"We'll know that we have finally bridged the gender gap not when we can point to mixed lineups on every panel show, but when almost every viewer in the land would simply think that it looked very weird (and unbelievably old-fashioned) to have a panel made up of four blokes – and would switch off," she said.

Mary Beard's new show, Oh Do Shut Up Dear, airs on Sunday 16 March on BBC4.

What do you think? Should panel shows be forced to have quotas of female panelists? Let us know on Twitter or in the comments below.

Photos: Rex Features

Related

selfie.jpg

2014 Oscars: the highlights

rexfeatures-3488284e.jpg

Scarlett Johansson 'expecting first child' with fiance Romain Dauriac

hero.jpg

Beauty mantras from old-school Hollywood stars

Comments

More

Homeless man who helped injured in Manchester attack offered rent

“He’s helped a lot of people, if I can help him, that’s really it.”

by Amy Swales
25 May 2017

Bataclan survivor offers words of hope to Manchester attack witnesses

“I want to tell you something that may seem hard to believe right now: it gets better.”

by Amy Swales
25 May 2017

The best A-list Instagrams from the week so far

From antics in Cannes to Reese Witherspoon's mother-son selfie

by Nicola Colyer
25 May 2017

Diane Kruger says she’s “never been paid as much as a male co-star”

She's been working in Hollywood for 16 years. Just let that sink in.

by Moya Crockett
25 May 2017

Elizabeth Banks is directing a Charlie’s Angels reboot

And it’s finally got an official release date

by Moya Crockett
25 May 2017

Millennials, Helen Mirren has shared her top 5 rules for a happy life

And they're seriously badass

by Kayleigh Dray
24 May 2017

Melania Trump once again refuses to hold her husband's hand on camera

President Donald Trump has tried to grab his wife’s hand twice on camera – and been expertly swatted away each time

by Kayleigh Dray
24 May 2017

People share messages of defiance after Manchester terror attack

“Don't be afraid. Dance until you're dizzy”

by Sarah Biddlecombe
23 May 2017

The Royal Family thank people of Manchester following terror attack

“I would like to express my admiration for the way the people of Manchester have responded”

by Amy Swales
23 May 2017

Theresa May responds to Manchester terror attack

“Britain's spirit will never be broken”

by Sarah Biddlecombe
23 May 2017