Jump to Main ContentJump to Primary Navigation
Top

The Royal Family thank emergency services and people of Manchester following terror attack

queen manchester statement.jpg

As the city reels from Monday night’s terror attack, with areas still on lockdown following the bombing of an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester Arena, the Queen has added her voice to those condemning the attack, and emphasised the incredible strength and compassion shown by the people of Manchester in the aftermath.

In a statement, addressed to the Lord-Lieutenant of Greater Manchester, Queen Elizabeth II said: “The whole nation has been shocked by the death and injury in Manchester last night of so many people, adults and children, who had just been enjoying a concert.

“I know I speak for everyone in expressing my deepest sympathy to all who have been affected by this dreadful event and especially to the families and friends of those who have died or were injured.

“I want to thank all the members of the emergency services, who have responded with such professionalism and care.

“And I would like to express my admiration for the way the people of Manchester have responded, with humanity and compassion, to this act of barbarity.”

queen statement manchester

A young fan is comforted

Later in the day, The Duke of Cambridge also shared a message of condolence (below) from himself, Kate Middleton and Prince Harry.

Addressing the “unimaginable grief” faced by friends, parents, children and partners in the aftermath of the attack, he said the trio “sent their thoughts to all”.

The shock and confusion following the 10.30pm explosion in the arena’s foyer was compounded by the fact many of the concert’s attendees were teenage fans, meaning families were separated as parents were waiting outside to pick them up. Additionally, many of those who had travelled from elsewhere were unable to get to their hotels or catch their trains from the adjacent Victoria Station due to police cordons.

But reports of help and support from both locals and those outside the city have emerged in the hours since, including people offering up food, drink, phones and accommodation via the hashtag #roomsformanchester and #roomformanchester.


Read more: How to help victims and survivors of the Manchester attack


One woman, Paula Robinson, has been widely applauded for leading a group of around 50 unaccompanied children to safety, looking after them in a Holiday Inn until they could be reunited with their families.

Others cited taxi drivers offering lifts to and from hospitals without charge, with some reporting that cabbies from Liverpool drove all the way to the city in order to bring people back for free.

Mobile phone shops have offered charging stations and use of phones to those searching the city today for missing loved ones, while local businesses opened their doors on the night to offer people shelter and refreshments.

Meanwhile, Manchester blood donation centres have been overwhelmed with people queuing up to give blood to help the 59 people injured. However, NHS Blood and Transplant (NHSBT) says the service has “all the blood required” for the patients in the city at the present time, and urged people not to turn up, but instead to register online or by phone.

Donors with existing appointments are strongly encouraged to keep them and new donors are vitally important for any future incidents. Book an appointment via blood.co.uk or by calling 0300 123 23 23 (lines are extremely busy).

Anyone in need of information or searching for loved ones can call the police emergency hotline: 0161 856 9400 or 0161 856 9900

Images: Rex Features

Related

theresa may manchester bombing.jpg

Theresa May responds to Manchester terror attack

manchester attack help donate.jpg

Manchester attack: how you can help

virgola instagram manchester attack.jpg

“We stand by your side”: the world responds to the Manchester attack

More

The best A-list Instagrams from the week so far

From Amanda Seyfried’s new abode to Jessica Chastain’s feline friend

by Nicola Colyer
17 Oct 2017

Jennifer Lawrence was forced into a naked line-up by a producer

In the name of weight-loss “inspiration”

by Amy Swales
17 Oct 2017

Abigail Breslin’s photo reveals how domestic abuse can stay with you

The actor has opened up about the realities of living with PTSD

17 Oct 2017

“Why Liar is proof that TV's depiction of rape is damaging to women”

The proliferation of rape in TV and film is a real problem for the representation of women

by Harriet Hall
17 Oct 2017

Nigella Lawson reveals why red is the ultimate foodie colour

As she tracks her gastronomic love affair with all things crimson

by Stylist
17 Oct 2017

Reese Witherspoon says she was sexually assaulted at 16 by a director

“Producers made me feel that silence was a condition of my employment”

by Amy Swales
17 Oct 2017

Courtney Love tried to warn us about Harvey Weinstein in 2005

This video shows her speaking out against Weinstein over a decade ago

by Susan Devaney
17 Oct 2017

Hillary Clinton praises NHS after receiving medical treatment in UK

Clinton spoke about the UK’s health service during an appearance on The Graham Norton Show

by Moya Crockett
17 Oct 2017

Maisie Williams’ response to Sophie Turner’s engagement is perfect

There’s a reason these two have been dubbed #BFFgoals, you know…

by Kayleigh Dray
17 Oct 2017

America Ferrera reveals she was sexually assaulted as a 9-year-old

‘I believed that I was somehow responsible for the actions of a grown man’

by Kayleigh Dray
17 Oct 2017