In our new weekly series, stylist.co.uk are asking the beauty industry's leading experts for their definitive answers to our burning beauty questions. Here, tanning pro James Read gives us a quickfire guide to applying fake tan.
Question: How do I apply fake tan on my face, without streaks or uneven patches?
- Always start by splashing your face with cold water as this cools you down and closes your pores
- Start applying the tan from the hairline down working around the face, over your eyes and the back of your neck
- Apply some moisturiser to a cotton bud and lightly buff into the hairline and brows
- After application, always drink through a straw to avoid the white lip line
- If you want a more subtle glow, mix some of your tan in with some moisturiser and apply with a thick foundation brush for a more blended finish
- Leave over night
- Moisturise your face daily to prolong your tan, avoid using oils as this will strip your colour
- If you are out in the sun, or doing sports wear a water based SPF to make it last.
Illustrations: Eleni Sofroniou