In our new series, stylist.co.uk is asking the beauty industry's leading experts for their definitive answers to some burning beauty questions. Here, Rowan Hall-Farrise, the head UK facialist for Hollywood skincare experts Face Place gives the lowdown on achieving glowing, blemish-free skin – even for those living in a congested city.
Question: how can I keep my skin clear and free of blemishes?
- Double cleansing in the evening in so important, particularly when you are living and working in the city. Your first cleanse will remove surface make-up, dirt and pollution, and the second will work more deeply on your skin.
- I recommend using a cleansing milk for your first cleanse. If you can spare a few minutes to really work the product in, you will notice the difference: keep moving the product in a circular motion.
- Remember to cleanse right into the hair line and work on the jawline and neck, as these areas are often missed and become congested. Then remove it all with a clean, warm facecloth or flannel.
- For the second cleanse, if your skin is sensitive and irritated, continue with the milk and follow the same steps. Otherwise, we recommend an AHA/BHA facial wash or, if your skin is acne or blemish-prone, salicylic acid (BHA) gives fantastic results.
- We also often see particular areas of congestion and check these points with clients to identify the cause of the bacteria breeding. Dirty make-up brushes? Dirty glasses? Are you using a clean flannel daily and washing with hot water? Do you inadvertently touch your face in the same spot throughout the day while working?
- Vitamin C is our hero ingredient, so look for that in your daytime skin care to protect against the environment.
- Finally, sleep is so important when it comes to keeping your skin blemish-free, as overnight your skin will heal, repair and grow new cells.
Illustrations: Eleni Sofroniou