A low, messy chignon is one of the most effective looks a woman can have in her arsenal when it comes to pared-back sophistication.
The creative team at Matthew Curtis – one of the industry’s most sought-after hair artists – pulled this style off to perfection for the models at designer Zeynep Kartal’s SS17 show.
The theme of the show was “A Royal Romance”, drawing from vintage Rococo designs and floral inspiration. To complement this, Curtis and his team created low buns with a subtly dishevelled texture and a natural, flyaway feel.
Here’s their step by step guide to re-creating the look:
- Loosely tong your hair from the roots, leaving the ends straight (as these will poke out of the bun)
- Manipulate hair back from right-hand parting into a low-height ponytail
- Twist the length of the ponytail then rub fingers against the hair cuticle to roughen texture
- Twist the ponytail into a bun and pin very closely into to the head
- Tease strands around the head for a halo of dishevelled strands
Images: Getty, Matthew Curtis for Zeynep Kartal