There’s only one way to wear autumn’s essential colours of camel, grey and pumpkin – and that’s top to toe
Perfect for the season’s luxe mood, neutral camel looks expensive and has been crowned the colour of a/w 2010. Invest in an elegant camel coat – it’s the chicest cover-up of the season and it will last for years to come. This luxurious wool version from Hobbs is one of the season’s stand-outs.
Coat, £349; Polo-neck, £55; Trousers, £159, all Hobbs (0845-313 3130)
Camel need to know:
• Camel should be worn in classic shapes and luxe fabrics inspired by the Seventies’ Charlie Girl adverts which are key for this season.
• This colour works for every skintone. If you’re pale, pick a shade with peachy tones whereas darker skins should choose pale beige camels.
• The most on-trend way to wear it is with subtle layers in similar shades. Taupe, tan and cream colours work brilliantly together.
Comptoir des Cotonniers Chinos
Chinos, £96, Comptoir des Cotonniers (020-7792 9580)
Bag, £265, Reiss (020-7473 9630)
Boots, £95, Office (office.co.uk)
Karen Millen gilet
Gilet, £350, Karen Millen (0870-160 1830)
Ring, £96, Guanabana at ECOne (020-7243 8811)
American Vintage T-shirt
T-shirt, £43, American Vintage at my-wardrobe.com
Stella McCartney skirt
Skirt, £455, Stella McCartney at Browns (020-7514 0016)
Top, £28, Mango (020-7434 3694)
Skirt, £75, Coast (01865-881 986)
Dress, £195, Whistles (whistles.co.uk)
Trousers, £365, Gucci at net-a-porter.com
Coat, £598, Sportmax at Matches (020-7221 0255)
Coat, £85, Oasis (01865-881 986); Blouse, £775, Chloé at Matches (020-7221 0255); Skirt, £30, Next (0844-844 8939)
Usually considered a spring shade, Miu Miu and Oscar de la Renta proved this zesty hue works for autumn too.
Pumpkin need to know:
• Bright orange will give sombre winter outfits a much-needed colour pop and pumpkin works well with a mid-blue denim for a Seventies’ feel.
• When co-ordinating a head-to-toe look, wear darker shades on areas you’re less confident about.
• If you’re still wary of an all-orange outfit, team pumpkin with camel, chocolate or other brights (but avoid black – it creates too harsh a contrast).
Wedges, £110, Asos (asos.com)
Coat, £355, Dagmar (asos.com)
Miu Miu bag
Bag, £960, Miu Miu (020-7409 0900)
Top, £24.99, H&M, (020-7323 2211)
Top, £330, Marni at Browns (020-7514 0016)
Skirt, £415, Balenciaga at Browns (020-7514 0016)
Scarf, £35, Echo (020-7428 7428)
Tunic, £40, Topshop (topshop.com)
ALICE BY TEMPERLEY
Dress, £495, Alice by Temperley at my-wardrobe.com
Jacket, £625, Doma (0845-604 1888); Dress, £45, Topshop (topshop.com); Scarf, £140, Alexander McQueen at Matches (020-7221 0255)
Get experimental with colour blocking thanks to the vast array of grey tones out there.
Grey need to know:
• Ranging from palest dove to smoky charcoal, layering differing shades of grey is a key way to work the look. A pale grey shirt works particularly well under a mid-grey jumper (as seen at Gucci).
• Grey is the perfect shade to experiment with and try more directional pieces (like Burberry Prorsum’s cape, above right).
• For weekend wear, find some denim in a washed-out grey for an edgier look that’ll blow your old blue jeans out of the water.
Urban Outfitters coat
Coat, £155, Urban Outfitters (urbanoutfitters.co.uk)
Banana Republic bag
Bag, £140, Banana Republic (020-7758 3550)
Vivienne Westwood skirt
Skirt, £235, Vivienne Westwood Anglomania at Net-a-porter.com
Christian Louboutin shoes
Shoes, £480, Christian Louboutin at Matches (020-7221 0255)
Dress, £119, Jesiré (020-7420 4450)
Blazer, £875, Stella McCartney at Browns (020-7514 0016); Shirt, £29.50, Gap (0800-427 789); Top, £122, John Smedley (020-7495 2222); Trousers, £29.99, Zara (020-7851 4300); Belt, £5.99, Marks & Spencer (marksandspencer.com)
Belt, £35, Topshop (0845-121 4519)
REBECCA TAYLOR TROUSERS
Trousers, £185, Rebecca Taylor (rebeccataylor.com)
MARC CAIN DRESS
Dress, £285, Marc Cain (01704-823 005)
J BRAND JEANS
Jeans, £245, J Brand (020-7486 8085)
TED BAKER TOP
Top, £125, Ted Baker (0845-130 4278)
DAY BIRGER ET MIKKELSEN JACKET
Jacket, £229, Day Birger et Mikkelsen (day.dk)