Strong Women ambassador and fitness trainer Alice-Rose Miller challenges her muscles by using a towel for resistance training in this quick and effective full body workout.
We’re using a towel to build muscle – sliding it against the floor for added resistance and rowing it for isometric training. This unassuming piece of terrycloth might not look it, but it has the potential to challenge your muscles for an intense full-body workout.
So, before you even think about throwing in the towel, use it.
ISOMETRIC TOWEL ROW
- Place the towel under both feet and hold onto each end.
- Hinge forward at the hips, leaning your torso slightly towards the ground.
- Keep your back and neck straight, with a slight bend in the knee.
- Bend arms so that they touch the sides of your body and your elbows are moving towards the ceiling.
- You should feel this tension in between your shoulder blades, keeping your shoulders down and back.
- Hold for 30 seconds (you’ll feel the muscles tensing) and then release.
Hold the static position for 30 seconds
You may also like
Upper body workout: easy-to-make DIY weights for strong arms
REVERSE LUNGE USING A TOWEL
- You’ll need a hard floor to perform this sliding move (not carpet).
- Stand with your feet hip width apart and the towel underneath your right foot.
- Tuck your tailbone under and open up the chest.
- Bend your left knee as you gently slide your right foot (that’s on top of the towel) back behind you – so that you end up in a reverse lunge position.
- Slide your right foot back up to starting position – pushing your weight through the front heel to do so.
- Keep your back straight and head up throughout the movement.
- You can place your arms wherever it feels comfortable – be it on your waist or held in front of you.
10 reps on each side
You may also like
Upper body workout: 3 exercises to strengthen arms for press-ups
HAMSTRING CURL USING A TOWEL
- Lie down on your back with your knees bent and the towel placed underneath both feet.
- Raise yourself up into a glute bridge, with your elbows pressing into the floor and your toes off the ground (so that the weight is in your heels).
- Slowly extend the legs out in front of you, sliding the towel along the floor.
- Slide the towel back towards your bum into the starting position. That’s one rep.
- Make the movement slow and controlled – keeping your core engaged and your hips up the entire time. You should feel this in your hamstrings.
Do 10 reps
Rest for 60 seconds. Do a total of 3 rounds of the entire set.
Follow @StrongWomenUK on Instagram for the latest workouts, delicious recipes and motivation from your favourite fitness experts.