Dumbbell no. 64: Twist towards better balance and core strength
Posted by Janine George for Strong Women Training Club
If balance isn’t your strong point, then this workout is for you. After the dumbbell circuit, Janine will take us through three rounds of Russian twists and butterfly crunches. Feeling wobbly? This strength session isn’t about moving fast so concentrate on moving across your full range of motion and feeling every muscle working. If that means keeping your feet firmly on the ground during those twists, so be it. After all, no one’s watching!
ENERGISER CIRCUIT: CURTSY LUNGE/SQUAT INTO BURPEE
The energiser circuit is designed to get your heart pumping and your muscles working. If you’re not sweating by the start of round two, you’re not going fast enough!
How to burpee
- Start by standing with feet hip-width apart
- Bend your knees to jump back into a plank position, bending the arms to bring your chest flat on the floor
- As soon as your chest hits the ground, jump back up to your feet
- If you can, jump into the air once you’ve come back up to standing
- Bend the knees to jump back down to the ground
- If all that explosive jumping is too much for you, regress the move into a half burpee (take away the chest-to-floor bit) or turn it into a walking burpee.