Abigail, 17, from Kent, explains why you need to watch Andi Mack, the most inclusive show on TV.
Andi Mack is a Disney show with a difference. It does not shy away from difficult topics and it is most certainly diverse.
So here are the five reasons why I think everyone, no matter their age, should have it on their to-watch list:
1. Andi Mack is one of the most inclusive shows I have ever seen. Not only does it include a gay main character (with a coming-out scene that will honestly melt your heart) but also a black main character and an Asian main character.
2. It addresses difficult topics. There have been episodes which questioned gendered uniform rules. Everyday racism is also challenged, with one character fighting a battle to be allowed to wear her natural hair flowing free at school.
3. It questions what family really is. Andi, Cyrus and Buffy all have families that are often underrepresented in the media, from young mums to reconstituted families todivorced parents and those serving in the army. Andi Mack provides valuable reassurance that there is no true definition of ‘normal’ that fits everyone.
4. It candidly represents those with mental health problems and disabilities. Two of the male characters feature in storylines about the stigma that can surround learning disabilities and mental health. While Jonah frets about the future and tries to find ways to avoid having more panic attacks, TJ ignores and attempts to hide his learning disability. Both of the boys try to hide the struggles they’re facing from their friends in fear that they will become outcasts. Just seeing this on TV can give younger people a boost and help them to realise they are not alone.
5. It gives good examples of healthy relationships. Bex, Andi’s mum, demonstrates consent and choice through her refusal of an engagement, despite the expectation that it should be the next logical step in her relationship. She makes no attempt to explain her decision beyond saying that it didn’t feel right, helping to reinforce the fact that there is no reason for anyone to do something they do not feel comfortable with.
Andi Mack is on the Disney Channel on Mondays at 7pm.
You can see more of Stylist’s Made By Girls content here.
Image: Disney Channel