It’s official; our mourning for The Great British Bake Off will never end.
Ever since we learned that the cosy baking show was moving to Channel 4 in 2017, we’ve been hit with one heart-breaking headline after another. We lost our beloved Mary Berry, pun-loving presenters Mel Giedroyc and Sue Perkins have unceremoniously quit the show, and the BBC has been blocked from holding one final Bake Off party for Comic Relief, because Channel 4 are doing their own charity version next year.
All together now? Sigh.
But we found a teeny sliver of joy in the GBBO debris when it was reported that Dawn French and Jennifer Saunders would be joining Paul Hollywood for the show’s new all-star line-up on Channel 4 next year.
Too bad, then, that they’re refusing to even consider the job.
Speaking to The Mirror about it, French said: “I think that rumour started because what other two girls are there working together?
“It's as simple as that. ‘Those two, them’. Absolutely not, no.”
However she added that she has (medium) high hopes for the show’s future, saying: “It'll probably work perfectly nicely on Channel 4. They don't have to get many viewers to be pleased.
“Mary'll get her own thing and Mel and Sue'll get their own thing and everyone will be happy.”
Her words echo that of her comedy partner Saunders, who previously tweeted: “It’s complete bollocks that Dawn and I are ‘lined up’ to take over the Great British Bake Off.”
Fair enough, then.
Its complete bollocks that Dawn and I are 'lined up' to take over Great British Bake off.— jennifer saunders (@ferrifrump) October 3, 2016
Meanwhile Jamie Oliver, who was also rumoured to be in the running for the gig, has said he won't be joining the show's new cast of celebrity bakers and comedians either.
“As much as I would get massive cred from my kids for having any kinda role, I’ve totally got my hands full even if I was asked, which I haven’t been,” he explained to The Telegraph.
“I’m sure they’ll pick the new hosts wisely – I’m just as keen to see who they are as you are!”
James Martin, another favourite in the running for the job, recently unveiled his plans for a cooking collaboration with Mary Berry – so we imagine he won’t be getting involved either. And former winner Nadiya Hussain has also ruled herself out of Channel 4’s plans for the show.
“I love writing, cooking and baking,” she said, according to The Metro. “I’m enjoying what I’m doing and I don’t want it to be taken away from me.”
Channel 4 reportedly paid Love Productions a whopping £75 million for the rights to the show – although many people have since pointed out that this has bought them nothing more than a tent, some empty pots and pans, and Paul Hollywood (who has signed a three-year contract with the broadcaster).
Despite this, however, Jay Hunt – aka the show’s chief creative officer – is still very positive about their purchase.
She told the Mail Online: “Channel 4 is very proud to be the new home for The Great British Bake Off.
“I'm delighted we have been able to partner with the hugely talented team at Love Productions to keep this much loved show on free-to-air television.”
Images: Love Productions, Rex Pictures