Warning: This article contains spoilers for the seventh season of Game of Thrones. Read on at your own peril…
For a long time now, fans of HBO’s Game of Thrones have been worried about one thing – or one person – in particular. And, no, we’re not talking about Cersei.
When she first appeared on our screens all those years ago, Sansa Stark (Sophie Turner) was a spoiled and fanciful young girl – obsessed with romance, and pretty things, and fairy tales. Since then, though, things have changed: she’s spent time with the likes of Cersei Lannister, Margaery Tyrell, Ramsey Snow, and Petyr ‘Littlefinger’ Baelish. She’s learned a lot about the art of deception, murder and political warfare. And she’s developed a serious thirst for power – which has led many viewers to suspect that Sansa intends on overthrowing Jon Snow and take control over Winterfell.
Naturally, Arya (Maisie Williams) is concerned, too – particularly as she’s always been closer to Jon than she has been her sister. But would Arya go so far as to murder Sansa?
The people of Reddit certainly think so. In fact, one user has even found evidence of an assassination plot – and it’s all hidden within a hug.
Well, two hugs, to be precise.
As the savvy viewer explains: “When Bran reunites with Sansa at Winterfell (S7 EP3) he very clearly does not embrace her back when she is hugging him (we see a view that shows his hands remain by his side).
“In fact, while Sansa hugs him he stares blankly beyond her (which yes, I recognize is kind of his thing to do now). However, when he reunites (S7 EP4) with Arya he does hug her back (a view is shown with his arm around her), and while his face is still blank-ish, there definitely appears to be a hint of concern as he stares over Arya's shoulder at Sansa (who looks down).
“Bran knows that something is not right with Sansa and that she will likely do something that hurts her family. He made a point of arming Arya with that dagger, which he can see she will have to use for some reason not yet known to us.
“Will she have to kill Sansa? Only Bran knows for now.”
Here’s Bran’s hug with Sansa:
And here’s his hug with Arya:
It’s certainly a compelling argument – as pointed out by the Reddit user, Bran does stare right at Sansa as he hugs Arya. And he definitely behaves in a more… well, in a more human way, we suppose.
Since then, Arya has accused her sister of trying to seize power (which Sansa has not denied) and found a damning letter from her, which had been hidden in Littlefinger’s bedroom.
Could all of this earn Sansa a place on Arya’s kill list?
Almost everyone on Arya’s list betrayed her family and friends in some way – and a fair few of them are dead already.
So who’s still on it? And why?
1. Cersei Lannister – for her role in the deaths of Ned Stark and others (ALIVE)
2. Joffrey Baratheon – for ordering the deaths of her father and Mycah the butcher's boy (DEAD)
3. Ser Ilyn Payne – the man who executed her father (ALIVE)
4. The Mountain – for leading the brutal tortures at Harrenhal (ALIVE/UNDEAD)
5. The Hound – for killing Mycah on Joffrey's orders (ALIVE)
6. Melisandre – for taking Gendry away (ALIVE)
7. Beric Dondarrion – for taking Gendry away (ALIVE/UNDEAD)
8. Thoros of Myr – for taking Gendry away (ALIVE)
9. Tywin Lannister – for leading the Lannisters against her brother Robb (DEAD)
10. Ser Meryn Trant – for killing her master Syrio Forel and helping Cersei's coup (DEAD)
11. Walder Frey – for his role in the deaths of her mother and brother (DEAD)
It’s also worth noting at this point that Sansa has asked her sister for the names of the people on her list – and that Arya failed to reply.
All in all, it seems as if the rift between these siblings is about to grow even bigger, unless Bran or Jon steps in to stop them.
Roll on the next episode already…