The official investigation into what happened at Grenfell Tower is still ongoing, but the first details about how victims will be commemorated have been revealed.
It’s been eight months since 71 residents of Grenfell Tower lost their lives in a fire that engulfed the entire building block. The tragedy has since left an entire west London community devastated with unanswered questions, a charred building site and no answer as to how victims would be commemorated.
Now, some questions are starting to be answered. The site of the tower will likely be turned into a memorial, and the nearby Latimer Road underground station will be renamed Grenfell Station, according to a government document.
The decision comes as survivors’ group Grenfell United requested the tube station name change and this week the Mayor of London confirmed his support toward the idea.
“I’ve agreed to make sure that we start consultation as soon as possible to rename this station as a fitting tribute,” Sadiq Khan told LBC.
“It’s really important that we remember the awful fire, but also those fantastic residents that campaigned so hard since the fire to make sure that justice is done,” he said, adding that victims’ families and friends had stated they wanted a “fitting tribute”.
“The idea they had - and of course, we’ll consult others - is to rename the station Grenfell. It’s important we listen to local residents,” he continued. The move will need to be confirmed by Transport for London.
Kensington and Chelsea was handed back responsibility for dealing with the crisis in September last year, although the council is viewed with hostility and mistrust by many residents. The council has confirmed it has “no plans” for the site and its future would be decided by the community.
As reported by the Evening Standard, the latest figures show “633 rehoming offers have been made to the 207 households. All of those who have engaged with the council have received at least one offer. Of these, 55 have moved into permanent accommodation and 49 have accepted offers but are in temporary homes and hotels while they wait for sales to complete and flats to be redecorated.
“A further 60 are in temporary accommodation while they decide on their offer and the remaining 43 are in emergency accommodation.”
The second procedural hearing in the highly contentious Grenfell Inquiry has meanwhile been announced for 21 and 22 March.
Last month, British artist Stormzy called out prime minister Theresa May during the Brit Awards for the mishandling of the Grenfell fire.
This IS that moment.. & for me, one that will go down in musical history✊#BRITs2018 #BRITs #BRITsStormzy #StormzyBRITs #Stormzy #Grenfell #GrenfellTower #JusticeForGrenfell #DontBuyTheDailyMail #dailyFail #ToriesOut #NastyParty #JC4PM #ForTheManypic.twitter.com/1JzUDKYE5g— Deborah Parker #NHSLove (@Debs_Parker) February 21, 2018