From powerful protest to motivational quote tiles, these were the images that made us cheer this year.
Instagram used to be a platform for posting solely about green smoothies and rainbows. Who are we kidding, there’s still a lot of that on the app, but there’s also plenty of inspiration and motivation to be found if you look for it.
Throughout the year we’ve seen Instagram used as a platform for protest, for motivation, for celebration and for support. Here are some of the most inspirational Instagram posts of 2018.
1. Renni Eddo Lodge shared her personal journey with anxiety
2. This quote tile reminded us to seize the day
3. Chrissy Metz sharing the most important message you will every learn
4. Elizabeth Gilbert shared why having a breakfast on your own is the secret to a fantastic week
5. Emma González, founder of March for our Lives and one of the survivors of the Florida school shooting, commemorated yet another act of gun violence in the US and called for an end to America’s right to bear arms
6. Brie Larson, in a pair of Hello Kitty boxing gloves, encouraged every woman to be strong
7. Philosophy shared a message of self-love we can all get behind
8. Rachel Morrison, the first woman to be Oscar-nominated as a cinematographer, advocated for working mums
9. Jessica Chastain shared the only message worth hearing
10. Gurls Talk, the platform founded by Adwoa Aboah, reminded everyone about the reality of mental illness
11. The women of the Time’s Up movement made a powerful statement at the Golden Globes
12. Illustrator Mari Andrew perfectly summed up the concept that this too shall pass
13. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez coached the next generation into standing for election
14. Emma Watson said it with a jacket
15. Getty images captured the most impactful photograph from Christine Blasey Ford’s testimony about Brett Kavanaugh
16. Tracee Ellis Ross reminded everyone of the importance of having your say
17. Sophie Turner offered support to everyone dealing with mental health issues
18. Lily James, Gemma Chan and more protested Brexit
19. Brene Brown reinforced the only two things that matter: Truth and love
Hannah-Rose Yee is a writer, podcaster and recent Australian transplant in London. You can find her on the internet talking about pop culture, food and travel.