Every so often a new foodie invention comes along that we simply have to try immediately, and the lasagna cheesecake is a case in point.
Created by US blogger Amy Erickson, who runs the blog Oh! Bite It, the gooey treat is pretty simple to make and there's no actual baking involved. Just whip the ingredients together, put it in the freezer for a couple of hours and voila!
Take a look at how to make it using the recipe below
As this is an American recipe, we've replaced some of the ingredients that aren't available in the UK. If you are State-side though, then you don't need to change a thing!
- A deep baking tray (even though you won't be doing any baking). This one by Pyrex should do the job, it's 28 x 20 x 8 cm. One that's 8 x 6 x 2 inches also works
- 750 g of Digestive biscuits. As the recipe calls for Graham Crackers this is the next best thing
- 100 g of butter
- Double cream. The recipe includes Cool Whip, but seeing as that's not readily available in the UK, it's best to make your own with sugar. Here's a simple recipe
- 454 g of cream cheese. Again, the US version asks for cheesecake filling so we'll go with cream cheese or good old Philadelphia
For the caramel sauce
- 250g caster sugar
- 142ml pot double cream
- 50g butter
- Make a digestive base by taking 250 g worth of the biscuits and putting them in a plastic bag and crush them using a rolling pin. Melt the butter and pore over the crumbs. Once that's all mixed together, press into the bottom of your tray to create a base
- In a large bowl combine the homemade Cool Whip and the creamcheese, gently folding until fully combined
- Then add the cheesecake filling, spreading it over evenly across the base
- Once your first layer is done, begin building by layering biscuits next to each other (you'll have to break them up to fit but try to keep them altogether) and then adding cheesecake filling
- Layer everything up until you’re left with a final creamcheese topping
- Take the left over digestive biscuits and crush them (we like to use a rolling pin) and sprinkle over the top
- Place the dish in the freezer. Take it out when you want to serve it and drizzle some of the caramel