Be honest – you’re wary of cold soup. This delicate fusion might just change your mind, though.
Kcal: 66 per serving
Fat: 2.5g per serving
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 7 minutes
Ingredients (Serves 4–6):
- 6 English cucumbers, peeled, cored, flesh chopped into chunks
- Handful of mint, roughly chopped
- 460ml crème fraîche (or sour cream)
- Grated zest of 1 lemon and freshly squeezed lemon juice, to taste
- 1 ½ garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp sugar
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 50g Parmesan, sliced into strips
Step 1: Blitz the cucumber and mint in a blender. Push the purée through a fine sieve using the back of a ladle.
Step 2: Put half of the pulp left in the sieve back into the blender with the strained purée (discard the other half). Add the crème fraîche, lemon zest, garlic, sugar, salt and pepper, then blitz to combine. Pour into bowls.
Step 3: Preheat oven to 180°C (gas 4). Spread the Parmesan on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, leaving a space between each strip as they will spread in the oven. Bake for seven minutes until they melt and colour slightly. Take out of the oven and gently remove from the baking sheet using a palette knife. Place on a wire rack until cooled and crisp.
Step 4: Add an ice cube to each bowl of soup and top with the Parmesan.
From The Vegetarian Pantry by Chloe Coker and Jane Montgomery (£16.99, Ryland Peters & Small)