As a preview to the world’s greatest restaurant festival - and as part of our food month this April - we have teamed up Taste of London to offer an exclusive recipe for stylist.co.uk readers every day this week.
Today Jason Atherton from acclaimed London restaurant Pollen Street Social shares his recipe for spiced chocolate cake with macerated raspberries. For more mouth-watering detail, read on below...
Spiced chocolate cake with macerated raspberries
Ingredients (makes 8-10 slices)
- 200g unsalted butter, cut into cubes, plus extra to grease the dish
- 2 tbsp plain flour, plus extra to dust
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground allspice
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 200g good-quality dark chocolate, chopped
- 150g caster sugar
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 250g raspberries
- 3 tbsp icing sugar, plus extra to dust
- 3 lemon thyme sprigs, leaves picked
1. First, prepare the macerated raspberries. In a bowl, whisk the icing sugar with 3 tbsp warm water until dissolved, then add the raspberries and lemon thyme leaves and toss gently. Set aside to macerate for an hour or so.
2. Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4. Grease the base and sides of a 23cm Pyrex flan dish, 4cm deep, with butter and dust with flour, tapping out the excess.
3. Sift the 2 tbsp flour with the spices and set aside. Melt the chocolate and butter together in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of gently simmering water. Remove from the heat and stir in the sugar and spiced flour. Let cool slightly for a minute or two, then beat in the egg yolks until well combined.
4. In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites with an electric whisk until soft peaks form. Using a rubber spatula, carefully fold into the chocolate mixture, a third at a time.
5. Pour the mixture into the prepared dish and bake for about 30 minutes until a cocktail stick inserted into the centre comes out with some moist crumbs attached. Leave in the dish to firm up a little, then transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly. The cake will rise and the top is likely to crack in the oven, then it will collapse slightly on cooling.
Tickets are now on sale for the world’s greatest restaurant festival, Taste of London, which will return to London’s Regent’s Park between 21-24 June and celebrate the best of world class cuisine. To book tickets go to tastefestivals.com/london