This Asian-inspired recipe is ideal for a summer’s evening and comes from Jane Coxwell – personal chef to Diane von Furstenberg. It puts ever-sohealthy tuna alongside fresh iced radishes, aromatic ginger and oodles of udon noodles. Well if it’s good enough for DVF...
Kcal: 400 per serving
Fat: 22.1g per serving
Sat fat: 3.7g per serving
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
Ingredients (Serves 2):
- 115g Udon noodles
- Sesame oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 large thumb-size piece ginger, minced (preferably over a bowl to catch the juices)
- 80ml soy sauce
- 1 tbsp agave nectar (£4.50 for 250ml, souschef.co.uk) or honey
- 3 spring onions, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 1 small handful fresh mint leaves, roughly chopped, plus sprigs for garnish
- 1 handful fresh coriander leaves, roughly chopped, plus sprigs for garnish
- 230g tuna fillet
- 2 radishes, finely sliced and crisped up in some iced water
- 1 lime, cut into quarters with seeds removed
- 2 tbsps black sesame seeds (optional)
Step 1: Cook the noodles according to the packet instructions. Drain and toss with a little sesame oil to stop them from sticking and set aside.
Step 2: Combine the garlic, ginger, soy sauce, agave nectar, spring onions and cooked noodles in a bowl. Give the mixture a good toss, then add mint and coriander.
Step 3: Get a skillet pan very hot and add a good glug or two of sesame oil. Add the tuna to the pan, giving it a shake back and forth to prevent it from sticking. Cook according to taste, but 20 seconds on each side (so it’s coloured on the outside and rare in the middle) is recommended.
Step 4: When the tuna is cooked, sit it on a chopping board for one minute. Lift the noodles onto a plate and dress with some of the sauce. Cut the tuna into thick slices and arrange over the noodles. Spoon over any leftover sauce and garnish with coriander, mint sprigs and radish. Top with lime quarters and sprinkle with the sesame seeds.
From Fresh Happy Tasty: An Adventure In 100 Recipes by Jane Coxwell (£22.99; William Morrow Cookbooks)