You know how melted cheese is basically the best comfort food ever? If you know this, then you'll also know how great it is when you mix it with macaroni. Well, we've found something to top that.
Behold, the Mac n Cheese balls. They are, if you haven't already guessed, balls of macaroni and cheese. Except there's a twist; there is also some mozzarella in there too. Each ball is then coated with bread crumbs and deep-fried.
Where, we hear you cry, can you get your hands on this goodness? Thankfully, the excellent food blogger Oh, Bite It! has come up with a way to make them at home, with a fairly simple recipe.
Take a look at the step-by-step guide below.
- 256g (2 cups) of prepared mac n cheese
- Fresh whole milk mozzarella (one cube per ball)
- 128g (1 cup) flour
- 2 eggs
- 128g (1 cup) dry bread crumbs
- 57g (1/4 cup) grated parmesan
- Oil for frying (rapeseed is good)
- In a large bowl combine the mac n cheese with the flour
- Add in the beaten eggs, stir well to combine
- Cube up the mozzarella into 1″ cubes
- Take about 2 tbsp. of the mac n cheese mixture and mold it around a cheese cube
- Plop it down into the bread crumbs and evenly coat the bombs
- Now it will be easier to handle. Place them on a plate and into the freezer
- Add the oil into a pan and make sure it heats up to 350 degrees
- Fry them up, one at a time until they’re evenly golden on all sides
And there you have it, delicious and gooey cheese balls.