The Morning Show, starring Reese Witherspoon and Jennifer Aniston, is finally here. This is everything we know about the new drama series.
It will be a relief for fans who are already missing Witherspoon following the end of Big Little Lies season two. And for those who laughed-out-loud while watching Netflix’s summer comedy Murder Mystery, Aniston’s return to the silver screen is no-doubt very welcome news.
So, what is The Morning Show about? Here’s everything we know so far…
Witherspoon and Aniston will play “two ambitious, aspirational” female morning television journalists in the new Apple Original Series, which has been commissioned for two seasons. Steve Carrell also stars as a news anchor who is trying to remain relevant in the ever-changing media landscape.
Describing the show’s premise to Entertainment Weekly, director Mimi Leder - who also directed On the Basis of Sex – said: “It’s a great show starring Jen and Reese and in many ways, it thematically follows the movie I just made, in that it deals with the #MeToo and Time’s Up movements and women in power.”
She added: “To be telling a most timely story about Ruth Bader Ginsburg and then going into a contemporary story of the behind-the-scenes of the world of morning television shows, about women in power (and it’s a very different kind of power with the politics of a morning show), they’re very similar.”
The series is loosely based on the book Top of the Morning, by CNN correspondent Brian Stelter, who is a consultant for the show. Witherspoon and Aniston are also exective producers alongside Kerry Ehrin, who has written the series.
Speaking at an Apple event to introduce the show earlier this year, Aniston said: “Through the prism of those under-slept, over-adrenalised people in front of and behind the camera, we take an honest look at the complex relationships between women and men in the workplace, and we engage in the conversation people are a little too afraid to have unless they’re behind closed doors.”
Is there a trailer?
Yes! Earlier this month we got a glimpse of what The Morning Show would look like with the first teaser trailer, as a camera pans around the TV studio, dressing rooms and control room, while the voices of the show’s three main characters play, sharing their strong views on journalism and reporting the news.
Now, we’ve been treated to one better: the actual trailer itself. Check it out below.
When is it being released?
The Morning Show will debut on Apple TV+ on 1 November 2019.
How to watch The Morning Show
Apple TV+ launches on 1 November 1 (the same day that The Morning Show is released), featuring originals from the world’s greatest storytellers. Available on the Apple TV App worldwide, Apple TV+ will be £4.99 per Month with a seven-day free trial. Starting from this week, customers who purchase any iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, iPod touch or Mac can enjoy one year of Apple TV+ for free. Through Family Sharing, up to six family members can share one Apple TV+ subscription.
Here’s what else we can expect to see on Apple TV+:
• See a drama starring Jason Momoa and Alfre Woodard, set 600 years in the future after a virus has decimated humankind and rendered the remaining population blind. When all humanity has lost the sense of sight, humans must adapt and find new ways to survive.
• Dickinson a darkly comedic coming-of-age story, exploring the constraints of society, gender and family through the lens of rebellious young poet, Emily Dickinson.
• For All Mankind a new series from Ronald D. Moore, which imagines what would have happened if the global space race never ended and the space program remained the cultural centrepiece of America’s hopes and dreams.
• Snoopy in Space, a new original from Peanuts Worldwide and DHX Media, taking viewers on a journey with Snoopy as he follows his dreams to become an astronaut. Together, Snoopy, Charlie Brown and the Peanuts crew take command of the International Space Station and explore the moon and beyond.
• Ghostwriter a reinvention of the beloved original series, following four kids who are brought together by a mysterious ghost in a neighbourhood bookstore, and must team up to release fictional characters from works of literature.
• The Elephant Queen an acclaimed documentary film and cinematic love letter to a species on the verge of extinction, following a majestic matriarch elephant and her herd on an epic journey of life, loss and homecoming.
• Oprah Winfrey joins the world’s most compelling authors in conversation as she builds a vibrant, global book club community and other projects to connect with people around the world and share meaningful ways to create positive change.
Image: Apple TV