The tampon has been given a major upgrade for 2018

Posted by
Susan Devaney
backgroundLayer 1
Add this article to your list of favourites

Feminine care company Callaly has released an innovative tampon called Tampliner. 

When Sally Ride became the first American woman in space in 1983, NASA engineers apparently asked her if 100 tampons would be enough for her weeklong exploration on the Challenger space shuttle.

35 years later and it’s fair to say that there’s still a lot of ignorance and taboo surrounding women’s sanitary products and periods in general.

Which is why an innovative addition to the market will always be welcomed.

Say hello to the Tampliner.

Created by feminine care company Callaly, the device aims to solve the age old problem of leakage. Featuring an applicator tampon with a mini-liner attached, the design aims to tuck between the labia to provide extra comfort and protection against unwanted leakage. 

The company claims this is the first major innovation in sanitary products for 80 years. 

A tube of mascara or a body moisturising cream by law comes with a list of ingredients but a box of tampons or sanitary pads does not – but Callaly have made sure to list the ingredients of Tampliner.

The organic cotton tampon and mini-liner are both 100% biodegradable. Overall the product is 95% biodegradable. The remaining 5% is made from plastic and currently can’t be recycled. According to the company, the membrane is made from polymer film – a type of plastic commonly found in medical devices – and is compatible with period blood.

It’s fair to say that women’s healthcare products have suffered from a severe lack of progression since they first reached the market in the mid-1930s, which is why Callaly claims the device to be the first innovation in tampons in 80 years. It’s hard to comprehend when British women spend nearly £15,000 on their periods during the course of their lifetime.

Last year, the first advert to ever show period blood was released, a Scottish company released sanitary periods to tackle period poverty in the UK and it was reported that girls across the country were skipping PE lessons due to period shame. So we still have some work to do. 

“Over the decades of treating my patients I heard repeated stories about the inadequacy of their period products; so many women who wore tampons didn’t trust them and wore liners at the same time, so I decided to invent something better. I hope that all people with periods will be excited to see another product available, that might be right for them and even if it is not be glad that there is now more choice for women in an area that desperately needed innovation,” explains chief medical officer and co-founder Alex Hooi.

Tampliners are available through a bespoke subscription service.

You can watch an instruction video here.

Images: Callaly 


Share this article


Susan Devaney

Susan Devaney is a digital journalist for, writing about fashion, beauty, travel, feminism, and everything else in-between.