It’s that time of year again: Hollywood is gearing up for the 89th Academy Awards, with the nominations for this year’s Oscars being announced today.
As predicted, La La Land swept the board for nominations, with both Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling up for the Best Actor and Best Actress awards respectively, and the film itself given a nod for a number of other categories – including Best Picture. With a grand total of 14 potential wins, the film is now tied with Titanic and All About Eve for the most nominations in the Award’s history.
And rather brilliantly, Meryl Streep – who was recently called “overrated” by Donald Trump – became the first person ever to bag 20 Oscar nominations, after being nominated for Best Actress for her role in Florence Foster Jenkins.
You can see highlights from the nominations below, and watch the full announcement video.
You can see all the nominations on the BBC here.
- Hacksaw Ridge
- Hell Or High Water
- Hidden Figures
- La La Land
- Manchester By The Sea
- Isabelle Huppert (Elle)
- Ruth Negga (Loving)
- Natalie Portman (Jackie)
- Emma Stone (La La Land)
- Meryl Streep (Florence Foster Jenkins)
- Viola Davis (Fences)
- Naomie Harris (Moonlight)
- Nicole Kidman (Lion)
- Octavia Spencer (Hidden Figures)
- Michelle Williams (Manchester By The Sea
- Denis Villeneuve (Arrival)
- Mel Gibson (Hacksaw Ridge)
- Damien Chazelle (La La Land)
- Kenneth Lonergan (Manchester By The Sea)
- Barry Jenkins (Moonlight)