Each year, there’s a new social media fad, but the latest looks like it’s here to stay.
Pinterest.com is an online pinboard for sharing images and has quickly become a major talking point, developing a devoted female following. With more than 10 million users since its launch in January, it has become the second fastest growing website after Formspring, a Q&A application. Some 85% of Pinterest’s activity and 97% of its Facebook fans are female – here’s why.
WHY DO I NEED IT?
This virtual mood board allows you to plan and curate images to inspire everything; from your upcoming wedding to your next presentation at work. Although it doesn’t have the immediacy of Twitter, there’s a therapeutic process in creating beautiful images.
HOW TO GET STARTED
Request an invite from the website. Once invited register your details or – as Pinterest is fully Facebook and Twitter integrated – log in with your respective details, which allows you to see how many of your friends and followers are already on the site. From here you can start pinning on your various boards and start following users you like. Plus we're now on Pinterest - so we hope to see you on there too. Happy Pinning!
Words: Anita Bhagwandas
TOP 10 WHO TO FOLLOW:
1. Pinterest.com/AmySia A textile designer creating dreamlike boards of elegant interiors and prints.
2. Pinterest.com/Burberry Everything from beauty and fragrance to fashion and music. Inspiring.
3. Pinterest.com/ideastosteal Interiors made simple, their ‘storage board’ is a revelation.
4. Pinterest.com/StylistMagazine Our thought-provoking covers, recipes, beautiful shoots and fashion inspiration all in one place.
5. Pinterest.com/harrods/ The iconic London store has a whole board of vintage Harrods ads, plus delicious pics that make us think of the food hall
6. Pinterest.com/thekitchn/ Hungry? You will be after browsing these endless boards of recipe inspiration.
7. Pinterest.com/chrisem/ The original Pinterest power player with nearly a million followers to her name, Christine Martinez is a lesson in how to do Pinterest properly, with her stylish sets of inspiration boards.
8. Pinterest.com/hmweddingblog/ Getting married and don't have cash to burn? See here for hundreds of DIY ideas.
9. Pinterest.com/buzzfeed/ For all things viral on the web, more cat videos, 90s nostalgia and memes that you can shake your ipad at.
10. Pinterest.com/jetsetterphoto/ Travel ideas and inspiration, from travel quotes to incredible scenery. Warning: Will cause wanderlust.