Amy Winehouse death verdict

An inquest into the death of Amy Winehouse has found the singer died from misadventure, after consuming more than five times the legal drink-drive limit in alcohol.

The London-based inquiry heard Winehouse, 27, had been dry for three weeks before her death and the sudden impact of alcohol on her system poisoned her.

"She had consumed sufficient alcohol at 416mg per decilitre [of blood] and the unintended consequence of such potentially fatal levels was her sudden and unexpected death," said coroner Suzanne Greenway, recording the verdict.

Winehouse fought a highly-publicised battle with drink and drugs in the years and months leading up to her death on 23 July.

Police recovered three bottles of vodka from the flat where she was found dead in Camden, north London.

A post-mortem found the Grammy award-winning singer's vital organs to be in good condition, with no traces of illegal substances. But the high levels of alcohol in her system could have prevented her from breathing and sent her into a coma, the inquest heard.

A live-in security guard checked in on her at around 10am of the day of her death, but did not realise what had happened until 3pm.

Winehouse's father Mitch has set up a foundation to help addicts overcome their problems in the wake of his daughter's death.