Brad Pitt has opened up about the moment he was attacked on the Maleficent red carpet last week.
The Inglourious Basterds actor was punched by Ukranian comedian Vitalii Sediuk, who had also attacked Ugly Betty star America Ferrera on the Cannes red carpet the week before.
In a statement obtained by People Monday, Pitt said: "I was at the end of the line signing autographs, when out the corner of my eye I saw someone stage-diving over the barrier at me. I took a step back; this guy had latched onto my lapels."
Pitt also revealed that he hit the TV presenter on the back of the head:
"I looked down and the nutter was trying to bury his face in my crotch, so I cracked him twice in the back of the head — not too hard — but enough to get his attention, because he did let go. I think he was then just grabbing for a hand hold because the guys were on him, and he reached up and caught my glasses."
"I don’t mind an exhibitionist, but if this guy keeps it up he’s going to spoil it for the fans who have waited up all night for an autograph or a selfie, because it will make people more wary to approach a crowd. And he should know, if he tries to look up a woman’s dress again, he’s going to get stomped."
According to the original report in The Telegraph witnesses saw Sediuk jump over a barrier to the red carpet at the El Capitan Theatre in Hollywood.
It is believed he made contact with the star, who was at the event with the whole Jolie-Pitt clan, before security guards wrestled him down and called police.
He was then photographed being led away from the scene in handcuffs (pictured below), and was arrested and booked under suspicion of misdemeanor battery, with bail set at £11,943 ($20,000). A temporary restraining order was also filed against Sediuk, and he was reportedly banned from all red carpet events.
In a statement following the attack, Disney, the distributor of Maleficent said: "This was an unfortunate and inappropriate incident that is being investigated by the LAPD."