Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have finally put an end to months of speculation and confirmed that they’re engaged.
The news was confirmed on Kensington Palace’s official Twitter account, which stated that the pair became engaged earlier this month.
“Prince Harry has informed the Queen and other close members of the Royal Family.”
Prince Harry and Ms Markle became engaged in London earlier this month.— Kensington Palace (@KensingtonRoyal) November 27, 2017
Prince Harry has informed The Queen and other close members of The Royal Family.— Kensington Palace (@KensingtonRoyal) November 27, 2017
The wedding will take place in spring 2018. Further details will be announced in due course.— Kensington Palace (@KensingtonRoyal) November 27, 2017
An official statement has also confirmed that Prince Harrt has also sought and received the blessing of Markle’s parents – and a letter from her mother and father has been widely shared on social media.
“We are incredibly happy for Meghan and Harry,” it read. “Our daughter has always been a kind and loving person. To see her union with Harry, who shares the same qualities, is a source of great joy for us as parents.
“We wish them a lifetime of happiness and are very excited for their future together.”
The British bookmaker Ladbrokes previously sparked a firestorm of speculation last week when it told the Daily Mail that Harry plans to propose any day now, since “royal watchers would love a Christmas engagement announcement, and as far as we are concerned it’s coming imminently.”
However, a spokesperson for Buckingham Palace preciously said that it would not be issuing a statement on Harry’s plans to propose, saying that it “would not give a running commentary on Harry’s love life.”
Images: Rex Features