The actress suggested the move was part of a conspiracy to silence her.
An arrest warrant has been issued for Rose McGowan in the States, reportedly as a result of allegations that she carried drugs onto a flight earlier this year.
According to police in Virginia, McGowan left personal belongings on a flight arriving at Washington Dulles International Airport in January. The luggage allegedly tested positive for narcotics, which – if true – would lead to a felony drug charge.
However, McGowan – who has led the charge of women speaking out against Harvey Weinstein and other alleged sexual predators in Hollywood – condemned the arrest warrant.
“Are they trying to silence me?” the actress wrote on Twitter. “There is a warrant out for my arrest in Virginia. What a load of HORSES**T.”
Are they trying to silence me? There is a warrant out for my arrest in Virginia. What a load of HORSESHIT.— rose mcgowan (@rosemcgowan) October 30, 2017
It is not clear when McGowan became aware of the warrant. However, Time reports that it was issued on 1 February and obtained by the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority (MWAA) Police Department.
An investigation was launched after traces of a controlled substance were allegedly found in luggage left on a flight arriving in Washington DC on 20 January.
A spokesman for the MWAA Police Department said that investigators believe that the belongings were McGowan’s.
“Our police have attempted to contact Ms McGowan so that she can appear in a Loudoun County Virginia court to respond to the charge,” Rob Yingling told Deadline.
On 28 October, McGowan told The New York Times that an associate of Weinstein’s recently offered her $1million (around £760,000) to stay silent about her allegations of sexual assault against the producer.
The offer was made to her in late September, McGowan said, less than a month before stories began to surface about Weinstein’s alleged sexual misconduct over the course of several decades.
McGowan allegedly signed a settlement of $100,000 with Weinstein in 1997, after what had previously been described obliquely as “an episode in a hotel room” when she was 23 years old.
However, the actress broke her silence about the incident in mid-October, writing on Twitter that Weinstein had raped her.
Speaking at the Women’s Convention in Detroit on 27 October, McGowan said: “I have been silenced for 20 years. I have been slut-shamed. I have been harassed. I have been maligned and you know what? I’m just like you.
“What happened to me behind the scenes happens to all of us in society and it cannot stand and it will not stand.”
More than 80 women have now accused Weinstein of sexual harassment and/or assault, according to a list compiled by actress Asia Argento (who has herself accused the producer of sexual assault).
Six women – actresses Natassia Malthe, Lysette Anthony and Annabella Sciorra, former production assistant Mimi Haleyi, a former Miramax employee going under the alias Sarah Smith, and an unnamed Italian actress – have said that Weinstein raped them.
For more on the Harvey Weinstein case, click here.
Images: Rex Features