People

Fashion brands continue to drop Terry Richardson amid abuse allegations

Posted by
Susan Devaney
Published

Photographer Terry Richardson has responded to the decision allegedly made by several fashion brands and Vogue publisher Condé Nast to ban him from working with them.

The fashion photographer – who has worked with some of the world’s biggest fashion brands and magazines – admitted that “many of his professional interactions with subjects were sexual and explicit in nature”.

A leaked email was allegedly circulated to staff throughout the publishing house of Condé Nast on Monday stating that work already commissioned from Richardson but not yet published should be “killed or substituted with other material”, according to The Telegraph.

The email did not state the reason for this severance of ties.



Several fashion houses have also now stopped commissioning Richardson for work. A spokesperson for Valentino told the Guardian: “The last campaign with photographer Terry Richardson was shot in July 2017 – there are no plans for a future campaign and of course [we] take these allegations seriously.”

Bulgari – a luxury fashion brand – said previous collaborations with Richardson has been “one-off initiatives” and it had “no plans to work with him again”.

And Porter, a luxury fashion magazine, also told the Guardian that it had “ceased working with him and publishing his images”.

Terry Richardson

Terry Richardson with Karen Elson and Frankie Rayder in 2013.

Richardson is one of the most successful photographers in the world, having worked with high-profile figures from Barack Obama to Oprah Winfrey and Kate Moss.

He has also been dogged with rumours about his inappropriate sexual behaviour during photoshoots since 2001. It has been claimed that Richardson regularly forced young female models into compromising positions, sometimes pressuring them into performing sexual acts on him.

In a statement to The TelegraphRichardson’s spokeswoman said: “He is an artist who has been known for his sexually explicit work so many of his professional interactions with subjects were sexual and explicit in nature but all of the subjects of his work participated consensually.

“Terry is disappointed to hear about this email especially because he has previously addressed these old stories.”

Allegations made against the photographer in 2014 led to a petition asking magazines to stop working with him.

In an exclusive letter written to Page Six at the time, Richardson responded to the claims that he sexually assaulted models on his shoots. He categorically denied the allegations, describing them as an “emotionally-charged witch hunt”.



The decision by publications and brands to stop working with Richardson comes after Harvey Weinstein was accused of sexual misconduct by a growing number of women. Around 48 named women have now accused the film producer of sexual harassment, assault and/or rape, and police in London, New York and Los Angeles are investigating claims made against him. He denies all charges of non-consensual sex.

Images: Rex Features