What’s that old marketing stat? We have a good experience and we’ll probably tell one or two people. But give us a bad experience and we’ll shout it from the rooftops to 10 strangers.
Online reviewers may well be much more likely to take to the internet when there’s an axe to grind, but they’ll also shout about their favourites – and, based on hundreds of reviews and ratings, the world’s top B&Bs have been announced.
Not only were five of the top 10 in England, alongside properties in Florida, Italy and Belgium, but the B&B named the top globally is a guesthouse in Dorset.
Bindon Bottom B&B in West Lulworth came first in the TripAdvisor Travellers’ Choice Awards, receiving 929 excellent reviews of a total of 940.
The five-bedroom Victorian house, built in 1871, triumphed over more exotic locations in the top 20, which included properties in Mexico, Iceland and Cuba.
And while some B&Bs are every bit as expensive as hotels (have you watched Four in a Bed recently? It’s insanity, we tell you), a stay at Bindon Bottom starts at £90 a night for two people, including, obviously, breakfast.
Lisa and Clive Orchard set up the B&B in 2010, and told the BBC: “We are genuinely appreciative to be recognised again in this year's Travellers' Choice Awards, and we want to sincerely thank all of our guests for reviewing us so kindly.”
Other UK properties in the list include stays in Cumbria, Bridlington and Cornwall. So, no need to dig out the passport this summer.
Check out the rest of the top 10 below.
Top 10 B&Bs in the TripAdvisor 2017 Travellers’ Choice Awards
- Bindon Bottom B&B – West Lulworth, Dorset
- The Cedar House Inn – St Augustine, Florida, US
- South Lodge Guest House – Bridlington, East Yorkshire
- The Welsh Hills Inn – Granville, Ohio, US
- Swallows Rest B&B – Brigstock, Northamptonshire
- Arcadia Residence – Prague, Czech Republic (CLOSED)
- B&B Mondello Resort – Palermo, Italy
- Thornleigh Guest House – Keswick, Cumbria
- West by Five Guest House – St Ives, Cornwall
- B&B Huis Koning – Bruges, Belgium